Have you, or has someone you know, been fantasizing about a chicken dream job? Do you want to leave your current job and get paid to keep and talk about chickens all day? Are you looking for a way to help support your family with your beloved flock? Or perhaps you're a budding writer looking to blog about your flock? If so, your chicken dream job may be right around the corner with My Pet Chicken. My Pet Chicken is currently accepting applications for 2023 hiring. Preferred hiring states are AL, AR, GA, IA, IN, KS, KY, LA, MS, MT, NC, ND, NE, NH, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, WI, WV, WY.
First, let's talk about who we are and why My Pet Chicken might be the place to find your chicken dream job.
12 best reasons to work for My Pet Chicken
- You have a super-easy commute. This is because you commute from your bed to your computer for your chicken dream job. You will be telecommuting. That means no traffic! No gas money! No wear and tear on the car! And no scraping snow off an icy windshield or getting into a sweltering vehicle! Roll out of bed two minutes before you start if that's your thing.
- You can work in your PJs. Or your comfy pants and favorite T-shirt with all the holes. We really don't care what you wear to work for your chicken dream job. Bad hair day? No one will see it. No one, unless you have neighbors, and you feel like bringing your laptop and working from your porch on a beautiful day. And heck, that sounds appealing, too!
- You can be at home caring for a child without having to call off work. Snow day? Easy. Teacher work day? No problem. If you're a single parent, or if you're in a household where both parents work, having a child home from school can normally create all sorts of logistical problems! Well... consider those issues SOLVED.
- You have the best office coffee in the world! Well, depending. This presumes you make good coffee. But whatever your coffee-ing skills may be, telecommuting means you don't have to choke down someone else's weak brew and stale beans. You can brew it just how you want it, fresh, when you want it.
- You can keep pet chickens when you work here. In fact, you MUST keep pet chickens! You may be wondering why you wouldn't keep chickens when you work at a hatchery? Well, if you work directly at a hatchery location, you actually can't keep your own flock due to biosecurity concerns. But employees of My Pet Chicken won't be going back and forth from a personal flock to the hatchery flocks or incubators, so you can enjoy your personal flock of pet chickens to your heart's content. This is probably one of the most compelling reasons working for My Pet Chicken is really a chicken dream job. How depressing would it be to FINALLY get that job at the hatchery... only to discover you have to get rid of your own beloved flock? And incidentally, if you have other pets in addition to chickens (such as a dog), this is a great job, too. You won't have to worry about any separation anxiety, or rushing home from work to let your pup out. He can simply sleep at your feet--or even in your lap--and go out when he needs to.
- You will be working among the foremost pet chicken experts in the country. Everyone here is a little--okay, a lot--chicken crazy. That's part of having a chicken dream job! My Pet Chicken can hire the smartest, chicken-craziest people from all across the country. We don't have to hire just from the area physically closest to our hatchery, so we really get The Best people. At places where customer service personnel have to work directly at the hatchery location, the employees don't have personal flocks, and may never have kept chickens personally. At your My Pet Chicken dream job, all your fellow employees get just as excited as you do when your new pullets start laying, or your broody has a successful hatch.
- You get to talk to other people who love chickens all day long. And you get paid for it! Do you enjoy "virtually" talking with other chicken lovers like you might on BYC? Wouldn't it be awesome if you could make a living doing that? Well, if you feel that way, this is definitely your chicken dream job.
- You can take egg gathering breaks at work. We don't know of any other workplace in the world where this would even be possible. Need to get up and stretch your legs? Feel free to go out to your coop, say "good afternoon" to your flock, and gather any eggs. Pet a hen, turn eggs in your incubator, check the chicks in your brooder. Talk about awesome!
- You get an employee discount on chicks, chickens, coops, eggs, supplies... Actually, this may be bad news if you suffer from Chicken Math. (If so... well, sorry about that.)
- You will be eligible to blog for My Pet Chicken. Our employees blog for us--and get paid for it! Are you a budding writer, dying to write about your flock, your farm, your chicken-keeping lifestyle? Do you have lots of DIY projects to share? Well, working for My Pet Chicken at your chicken dream job is the perfect opportunity to get started.
- You get the chance to raise some of our exclusive breeds before anyone else! My Pet Chicken now has the largest number of chicken varieties of any hatchery in the country, because we have so many varieties exclusive to us! When we develop a new variety, we often need additional feedback--and good photos of the birds. You will sometimes have the opportunity to raise these new, exclusive varieties so you can contribute to the breed description--or even blog about them.
- This is a job where you can talk about your favorite, super friendly baby chick... and everyone appreciates and understands, rather than dismissing you as strange.
Now, let's talk about the chicken dream job itself. Here's what you would do in your new position.
Chicken dream job duties
- Respond to customers in a warm, professional manner, by email, phone, and chat
- Answer customer questions about chick and chicken care
- Share your personal experience keeping chickens with customers
- Process customer-requested order changes and cancellations
- Assure customers are prepared for chickens by referring them to our extensive library of educational materials, including our online Chicken FAQ section, our free Chicken Care Guide, our free Incubation e-guide, our online Chick Supply Checklist, and our information about different chicken breeds and varieties, our various informational blog posts, and so on.
- Make sure customers know what to expect with order processes and procedures.
- Enter data accurately on internal reports
- Maintain secure customer records
- Work in conjunction with other departments to resolve service and product issues, and make our customers happy
- Evaluate and recommend products or services to management as a direct result of customer suggestions and needs
- Blog for My Pet Chicken
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements for the chicken dream job:
1. You must currently keep a flock of pet chickens. We want to hire a person who is actually involved in the hobby and has experience with pet chickens. Preferably, in fact, you must be suffering from Chickenmania, or struggle with your Chicken Math every year. This is one of the things that sets us apart from other hatcheries, and makes My Pet Chicken the best place to go for people who want to get started with a small flock! Our company was founded with one goal in mind: connecting people with chickens. We can do that best when we hire people who are enthusiastic and knowledgeable about backyard chicken keeping. As a company, we genuinely want our customers to discover the joys of keeping a backyard flock, so we want to hire people who'll enjoy being an integral part of that process as much as we do.
2. You must have a speedy computer with a fast internet connection. You will be using your own computer and your own Internet connection when you work, and we don't want to keep customers waiting with a slow connection or processor.
3. You must have a quiet place to work. This can be a separate office or just a quiet space during working hours. The main thing is that, while speaking with customers on the phone, you need to be able to hear customers, and they need to be able to hear you. For chat and email, you still need a location free of distractions. The sound of roosters crowing in the background is perfectly acceptable, of course!
4. You must be able to work on these days: For our current need, prospective employees must be available to work at least 3 shifts per week Monday through Friday between 10am and 6pm EST. Additionally, all applicants should be able to commit to working on Mondays and, during the busy season, one or two Saturdays per month.
Other qualifications for the chicken dream job:
You must have
- Courteous phone manners
- Independent internal motivation
- Proficiency with your computer, including browsing, email, chat, office software, and other basics.
- Ability to learn order processing, inventory, and content management systems with training
- Accurate spelling and grammar, and the ability to express yourself clearly in writing
- Problem-solving skills
- Meticulous attention to detail with both note-taking and follow-through
- Pet chicken and chicken product knowledge/familiarity
- Cooperative mindset as a team player
- Compassion and enthusiasm for humane care
- Advanced email management (setting filters, managing reply-tos, using labels, etc.)
- Blogging/writing experience
- Photography skills
More about the My Pet Chicken dream job
Peak season at My Pet Chicken coincides with our hatching season, which is February/March through September. As a result, you can expect more scheduled hours during that time frame, and reduced hours from October through January/February. However, during the slower time of year, you'll be able to get training completed. Plus, in future years, employees are encouraged to pick up extra hours by drafting and submitting blog posts for the My Pet Chicken Blog.
Keep in mind that I don't have any personal say as to who is hired! Your application will go to HR.
How to apply for the Chicken Dream Job
Click here apply for your chicken dream job.
Understand that we will evaluate your experience, writing ability, chicken knowledge, and ability to follow written instructions based on your application email, so be sure to proofread and think carefully about your responses before submitting your application.