Cayuga ducks are calm, smart, and friendly, making them a great addition to a backyard flock. Their striking appearance and unique egg color make them a top choice for many backyard duck owners. Cayuga ducks are also among the Top 9 Duck Breeds for Sale in 2022!
History of the Cayuga Duck breed
The Cayuga duck is a breed of domesticated duck that originated in the United States, specifically in the Cayuga Lake region of upstate New York. They are named after the lake where they have first bred, which is thought to have been developed from the wild Black Duck.
The personality of a Cayuga Duck
- Calm and docile: Cayuga ducks are known to be calm and docile birds and generally friendly toward people.
- Curious and active: These ducks are known to be quite curious and enjoy exploring their surroundings. They are also quite active and enjoy swimming and foraging for food.
- Intelligent: Cayuga ducks are believed to be intelligent and quick to learn. They are also good problem solvers.
- Independent: Although Cayuga ducks enjoy human company, they are also independent birds and can entertain themselves for hours without human interaction.
- Quiet: Cayuga ducks are not particularly vocal and tend to make soft quacking sounds. This makes them a good choice for urban environments where noise might be an issue.
The appearance of a Cayuga Duck
Cayugas are known for their striking appearance, with black plumage with an iridescent green sheen in certain lighting. They have a relatively small body size, weighing around 5-7 pounds on average. Their bills and feet are black or dark gray, and their eyes are brown.
Interestingly, Cayugas turn almost all white after several years, and their black legs become orangish as they age.
Egg color and production of the Cayuga Duck
Cayugas are considered good layers, producing around 130-180 eggs annually. Their eggs have black or dark gray shells toward the beginning of the season, lightning to light gray, blue, green, or even white at season end.
Care and health of Cayuga Ducks
Cayuga ducks are relatively easy to care for and make great pets, but like all animals, they require proper care and attention to stay healthy and happy. Here are some tips for taking care of a Cayuga duck. If cared for properly, Cayugas can live 7-10 years. They are also known for their hardiness and adaptability and can do well in various climates.