Hatching Eggs: Eggs for Education
|Shipping Week||Availability||Other Breeds Available|
Your order will contain a selection of the following, including a minimum of three different breeds (the more eggs you purchase, the greater number of different breeds will be included!):
- Barred Blue Egg Layer*
- Barred Olive Egger*
- Bantam Black/Birchen Cochin
- Black Australorp
- Blue/Black/Splash Marans
- Blue Olive Egger*
- Blue Sex Link*
- Blue/Black Orpington
- Buff Orpington
- Easter Egger
- New Hampshire Red
- Olive Egger*
- Partridge Plymouth Rock
- Rhode Island Red
- Sex Link Olive Egger*
- Silver Laced Wyandotte
- Super Blue Egg Layer*
- Super Green Egg Layer*
- Bantam Calico Cochins
- Bantam Chocolate/Split Orpington
- Birchen Marans
- Lavender Ameraucana
- Speckled Sussex
- Fun and Funky Breeds (will be marked "FF". Possible Breeds: Easter Egger, Cochin, Silkies, Polish, Silchen, Seramas, etc. Possible Genes: Crested, Frizzle, Sizzle, Naked Neck, Silkie.)
Recommended read: 7 rules for planning a successful school hatching project and Guide to Hatching Eggs
Hatching Egg ordering information:
- * Please note: many varieties included in this assortment are F1 and will arrive in shades of brown and white. The color of the eggs received may not correspond to the color of eggs you can expect from the chicks that you hatch.
- We are unable to take breed requests for this assortment.
- Free Eggs: We like making our customers happy. You'll likely receive free egg(s) with your purchase!
Hatching Egg order minimum:
Please note: We have three farm locations that we ship from. There is a six-egg minimum from each farm that you choose to order from.
Current shipping rates are as follows:
6-23 eggs: $19.99
24 + eggs: Free
- Eggs are always shipped via USPS Priority Mail
- We ship our hatching eggs Monday through Saturday, depending on when the hens lay. Our website gives a ship week date, which is the Thursday of that week. The date shown is Thursday, so orders can still be placed any day of that week.
- Unfortunately, due to the importing regulations in those states, we cannot ship fertile hatching eggs to Hawaii, Minnesota, and US Territories.
You may cancel your hatching egg order at least 10 days before your listed ship date.
Will my eggs arrive intact?
My Pet Chicken absolutely guarantees that the fertile hatching eggs you order from us will arrive intact and ready for incubation. If any eggs for which you have paid arrive cracked or broken, we will refund or reship them in the case of 50% or more of the eggs being damaged. Please contact us within 48 hours of receiving the damaged eggs to report the issue and provide photos of the damage.
Do you guarantee all my eggs will hatch?
Our eggs are gathered daily, shipped no more than 3 days after laying them, and stored properly to ensure freshness and improve viability. Even so, most people are happy to get a 50 percent hatch rate on shipped eggs.
Firstly, even if the eggs are intact on the outside, handling by the post office can damage them enough not to hatch. The internal arrangements of a chicken egg are relatively delicate and can be disturbed even if the outside is completely intact.
Secondly, we cannot guarantee your hatch rate because we have no control over the incubation conditions with which you try to hatch them. Eggs will not develop into chicks unless exacting conditions of temperature and humidity are met--and even a one-degree difference in temperature can cause them not to hatch or can cause the chicks that do hatch to be weak! If your thermometer is inaccurate, the power goes off in your home during incubation, or your incubator is dirty, these issues are beyond our control.
Hatching egg results will vary even if you are experienced, so while our eggs are guaranteed to arrive intact and beautiful, we cannot guarantee your results.
Can I choose which day my eggs will arrive?
When you place your order, you can choose your preferred week of shipment. Your order may ship anytime that week, Monday through Saturday, depending on the hens' cooperation. Should there be an issue with your order, we will attempt to contact you.
Some of our flocks are kept at different facilities, so if you order multiple breeds or assortments, your eggs may not all arrive at once. We will do our best to coordinate, but we cannot guarantee they will all arrive on the same day. If you are uncomfortable with staggered hatches, you may want to place your orders separately or contact us for further instructions. We are happy to help!
Will the post office deliver the eggs to my door?
Shipping labels on our hatching egg boxes indicate that the post office should "CALL ON ARRIVAL." This reduces the handling and extremes of temperature the eggs experience en route to you and can ultimately increase the viability of your eggs. However, this information is often not seen by the carrier, and eggs are delivered to the physical shipping address on the label anyway.
If it is imperative to you that the eggs not be delivered directly to your shipping address, you can change the ship-to address on your order to the address of your post office of choice, attn: 'your name.' If you choose to do this, make sure to include a valid phone number so the post office can reach you when the box arrives.