Very Good (4/wk)
Not Especially Heat Hardy
Hardy in Winter
Pullet: Speckled Sussex, Shipping Week of 10/30/2023
The Speckled Sussex have everything: they are great layers of tinted or light brown eggs and lay right through the coldest weather. They are dual purpose birds, though fat-bodied and not prone to flying when mature, so they are easily fenced. In England, they used to be THE standard table bird, before the modern Cornish Crosses came along.
They forage well and are economical eaters that are friendly and easily handled. Their curious nature means they will often follow you around the yard if they think they can beg a treat from you. The "speckled" variety offered here has plumage that gives them some camouflage from predators, too. Many tend to get more speckles after each successive molt, so they just get prettier with age. Seriously, what more could you ask for in a chicken?
Benefits of Purchasing Pullets
- Started pullets are an excellent option for people who don't have the time, equipment, or desire to care for chicks.
- These juvenile chicks are sexed twice, once at hatch and again at six weeks old, which reduces your chance of ending up with roosters.
- The minimum order is just 2 chicks!
Additional Pullet Information
- These pullets will be vaccinated for Marek's disease and MG (Mycoplasma gallisepticum)
- Our six-week started pullets are floor-raised and socialized with humans, and their beaks are intact--we never trim.
- Please keep your 6-week-olds quarantined from your existing flock for four or more weeks, and take care when introducing them.
Pullet Shipping Information
- All Started Juveniles are shipped USPS Express Mail.
- Due to import regulations, we cannot ship to Texas, Hawaii, and Minnesota.
- Pullets will ship on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of the designated shipping week. You will receive an email with tracking information once they leave the farm.