Pullet: Welsummer, Shipping week of
Welsummers are friendly, intelligent, and easily handled birds that love to free range and forage for food but can also be kept in runs quite happily.
The Welsummer (sometimes spelled Welsumer) is named after the village of Welsum, Holland, and was first imported into this country in 1928. The Welsummer is an upright, active bird with a broad back, full breast, and large full tail. The birds have single combs, medium wattles, almond-shaped ear lobes, and a strong, short beak.
Hens lay large, medium to dark brown eggs that are often speckled, making them very lovely! The egg coloring is so thick that if you catch it while it is still wet, you can wipe off some of the brown with a clean cloth! (Keep in mind that, as with all dark egg layers, the eggs will vary in color, growing lighter as the hens get into the full swing of laying and darkening again after a break in laying, like a molt.)
Benefits of Purchasing Pullets
- Started pullets are an excellent option for people who don't have the time, equipment, or desire to care for chicks.
- These juvenile chicks are sexed twice, once at hatch and again at six weeks old, which reduces your chance of ending up with roosters.
- The minimum order is just 2 chicks!
Additional Pullet Information
- These pullets will be vaccinated for Marek's disease and MG (Mycoplasma gallisepticum)
- Our six-week started pullets are floor-raised and socialized with humans, and their beaks are intact--we never trim.
- Please keep your 6-week-olds quarantined from your existing flock for four or more weeks, and take care when introducing them.
Pullet Shipping Information
- All Started Juveniles are shipped USPS Express Mail.
- Due to import regulations, we cannot ship to Hawaii and Minnesota.
- Pullets will ship on Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday of the designated shipping week. You will receive an email with tracking information once they leave the farm.