Don't want to spend big bucks on a chicken coop? Build your own! These complete building plans will help you build the coop pictured here, which houses up to six large fowl chickens or ten bantams. Cuts and assembly are straightforward and require only basic tools and standard materials. Plans are in feet and inches. Clear instructions include helpful diagrams and photos. Made and set up as instructed, this coop is tight against rodents and predators with the exception of bears. (If you are in bear country, or if your temperatures dip much below -17 degrees Celsius/0 degrees Fahrenheit, the designer recommends the plans for her bear-resistant, insulated Ready Coop
. If you don't need a coop this large, try her popular, smaller Urban Chicken Coop
This coop can easily be moved by two strong people to fresh ground.Dimensions:
4' 10" high x 4' deep x 8" wide, including the run (excluding the nest box)
Each removable roost is 44" long.
Interior coop footprint: 12 square feet.
Covered outdoor run: 32 square feetMaterials Cost
Depending on your location and the materials used, $400-$500 if purchasing new. You'll spend less if you can salvaged the wood from elsewhere!Key Features
Downloading the Plan
- Paint or stain to finish to your liking!
- Designed to minimize clean-up
- Keeps cost low through efficient use of materials
- Comes apart in stackable panels for easy transport and reassembly
- Cedar foundation provides natural rot resistance
- External nest box access makes it easy to remove eggs
- Large front door and removable roosts for easy cleaning
- Sliding chicken door
- Provides a balance between good ventilation and draft control
On the order confirmation page on
the final page of the online checkout process, you will see a link to
download the plans. Don't worry if you miss it! We'll also email you a
download link separately, valid for 7 days after purchase. Satisfaction Guaranteed
If it turns out these plans aren't right for you, let us know
within 30 days and we'll refund you in full.