Very Good (4/wk)
Tolerates Heat Well
Hardy in Winter
Baby Chicks: Barred Plymouth Rock
|Shipping Week||Availability||Other Breeds Available|
Our gorgeous Barred Plymouth Rocks are a cut above! "Barred Rocks" are one of the most popular dual-purpose chickens on small farms today and we recommend them as one of the best breeds for beginners.
Their heritage is unclear, but what is clear is that they're very friendly, great layers of large brown eggs and able to withstand cold weather quite nicely. Our particular flock can hardly be called "hatchery quality" -- take a look at the rooster in the "outdoors" photographs, above. He's an actual breeder from our flock, and is a good example of the yellow legs, tight, consistent barring, and beautiful comb you will find on our Barred Rock flock.
Like the Faverolles, this is another breed whose males are often enthusiastically recommended as good roosters for the home flock, as they tend to be calm and kind compared to some roosters. Both roosters and hens are very pretty with feathers decorated in alternating bars of white and black, and set off by their bright, alert eyes!
Though Barred Rocks tolerate confinement, they're happiest when they range freely.
- Plymouth Rock Chicken: The Complete Guide
- Chicken Breed List: Plymouth Rock Chicken
- How to Identify Baby Chicks with Leg Bands
- Baby Chick Identification Photos
- Baby Chicks: Behind the Scenes
What to know about Marek's disease vaccine
- We offer the Marek's Disease vaccine on the checkout page.
- Related articles: Should I get my birds vaccinated? and All about Marek's disease.
- Due to Rhode Island state law, the minimum order of day-old chicks shipped to Rhode Island is 12.