Tolerates Heat Well
Hardy in Winter
Baby Chicks: Rhode Island Red
|Other Breeds Available
Rhode Island Red chickens are a favorite chicken breed among many backyard homesteaders and farmers. And with good reason, they are excellent brown egg layers that are heat and cold hardy in mild winter climates.
Rhode Island Reds are held in such high esteem that they're the official Rhode Island state bird. They were once hugely popular in America but declined along with the small farmer.
Today they're making a comeback due to small flock owners (like us!). They're the do-everything bird: they lay exceptionally well, they're valued for their meat, they're extremely cold hardy, and hardy in general. They're a wonderful choice if you're looking for a dual-purpose breed. And ours just happen to be stunning. Generations of careful breeding to the standard have produced a fine-looking bird!
Related Baby Chick Articles:
- Rhode Island Red: The Ultimate Guide
- Chicken Breed List: Rhode Island Red
- How to Identify Baby Chicks with Leg Bands
- Baby Chick Identification Photos
- Baby Chicks: Behind the Scenes
What to know about Marek's disease vaccine
We offer the Marek's Disease vaccine on the checkout page.
- Due to Rhode Island state law, the minimum order of day-old chicks shipped to Rhode Island is 12.