Very Good (4/wk)
Not Especially Heat Hardy
Hardy in Winter
Baby Chicks: Silver Laced Wyandotte
|Other Breeds Available
Silver Laced Wyandottes are the original Wyandotte variety, and a wonderful example of American breeding. They are beautiful and productive.
Wyandottes are a favorite amongst backyard flock owners for their dependable egg laying, easygoing nature and cold-hardiness. Each feather is silvery white edged in beetle black, similar to Silver Sebrights. The hens look as if they're ladies dressed for a fancy ball! The Wyandotte roosters have the same laced feathers, but their hackles and capes are composed of glimmering silver, like a suit of armor. (We think roosters should be named after the Knights of the Round Table!)
Wyandottes have a heavy body, which makes them a great dual purpose choice, and small rose comb, which makes them perfect for cold climates because they are not prone to frostbite. The hens are hardy, energetic, and faithful layers and are recommended as one of the best breeds for beginners.
Related Baby Chick Articles:
- Wyandotte Chicken: The Complete Guide
- Chicken Breed List: Wyandotte Chicken
- How to Identify Baby Chicks with Leg Bands
- Baby Chick Identification Photos
- Baby Chicks: Behind the Scenes
What to know about Marek's disease vaccine
- We offer the Marek's Disease vaccine on the checkout page.
- Related articles: Should I get my birds vaccinated? and All about Marek's disease.
- Due to Rhode Island state law, the minimum order of day-old chicks shipped to Rhode Island is 12.