Very Good (4/wk)
Not Especially Heat Hardy
Hardy in Winter
Baby Chicks: Speckled Sussex
|Shipping Week||Availability||Other Breeds Available|
The Sussex have everything: they are great layers of tinted or light brown eggs--and they lay right through the coldest weather. They are dual purpose birds, though fat-bodied and not prone to flying when mature, so they are easily fenced. In England, they used to be THE standard table bird, before the modern Cornish Crosses came along.
They forage well and are economical eaters that are friendly and easily handled. Their curious nature means they will often follow you around the yard if they think they can beg a treat from you. The "speckled" variety offered here has plumage thatgives them some camouflage from predators, too. Many tend to get more speckles after each successive molt, so they just get prettier with age. Seriously, what more could you ask for in a chicken? They are recommended as one of the best breeds for beginner chicken keepers.
- Speckled Sussex Chicken: The Complete Guide
- Chicken Breed List: Speckled Sussex
- Baby Chicks: Behind the Scenes
What to know about Marek's disease vaccine
- We offer the Marek's Disease vaccine on the checkout page.
- Related articles: Should I get my birds vaccinated? and All about Marek's disease.
- Due to Rhode Island state law, the minimum order of day-old chicks shipped to Rhode Island is 12.