Let’s explore our Top 5 Chicken Breeds for Pets! Chickens aren't just for the farmyard anymore. Recently, they've become popular pets for families in urban and suburban settings. These charming birds offer fresh eggs, pest control, and endless entertainment. But not all chicken breeds are ideal for families looking for a feathered friend.
1. Silked White Easter Eggers: A Unique and Gentle Pet. Silked White Easter Eggers are a delightful addition to any backyard. They are known for their fluffy, silky feathers, which make them look like they're wearing a feathered boa. These birds are friendly and docile, making them great pets for families with children. What sets them apart is their unique blue or green eggs, adding a splash of color to your egg basket. Silked White Easter Eggers are excellent layers and exclusive to My Pet Chicken.
Why choose them? If you are looking for a chicken breed that offers a unique appearance and surprise egg colors, the Silked White Easter Egger is the perfect choice. They're not only eye-catching but also very docile, making them great companions.
2. Cochins: Gentle Giants and Tiny Treasures. Cochins are a breed known for their gentle and friendly nature. They come in both standard and bantam sizes, which means you can choose the right fit for your backyard or coop. Cochins are heavily feathered birds with soft, downy feathers that make them feel like living pillows. They are excellent choices for families with children because of their calm disposition. They don't mind being held and make great pets that are also suitable for 4H projects.
Why choose them? If you have space for the larger standard Cochin or prefer the compact size of the bantam, both varieties are known for their sweet nature. Their calm demeanor makes them ideal for households with children or other pets.
3. Salmon Faverolles: The Friendly French Hen. Salmon Faverolles are known for their striking appearance and docile personalities. Their distinctive salmon-colored feathers and fluffy, bearded cheeks make them stand out in any flock. These birds are friendly, great with kids, and make excellent pets for those looking to keep chickens purely for their companionship. They are not the best layers, but their unique looks and personality more than make up for it.
Why choose them? If you are a first-time chicken owner, the Salmon Faverolles is an excellent breed to consider. They are friendly, easy-going, and get along well with other chicken breeds.
4. d'Uccles: The Charming Belgian Bantams. d'Uccles, formally known as Belgian d'Uccles, are tiny bantam chickens with lots of personality. They are perfect for small backyards and families looking for a pint-sized pet. d'Uccles come in various colors, including mille fleur, porcelain, and more, making them visually appealing. They have friendly dispositions and often become attached to their human owners. These little birds are ideal for families seeking a unique and adorable pet.
Why choose them? Perfect for families with limited space, d’Uccles bring vivacity to any backyard flock. Their small size and engaging personalities make them a favorite among children.
5. Speckled Sussex: The Colorful Classic. Speckled Sussex is a breed that offers both beauty and utility. They are known for their striking speckled plumage and docile nature. These birds are excellent layers of large brown eggs, making them a fantastic choice for families who want both friendly pets and a steady egg supply. Speckled Sussex chickens are great for children and enjoy human interaction.
Why choose them? If you're looking for a chicken that is both attractive and sociable, the Speckled Sussex won't disappoint. They are hardy birds that adapt well to various conditions and are known for their playful nature.
Tips For Choosing the Friendly Chicken Breeds for Pets
When selecting a chicken breed for your family, consider the following factors:
- Space: Determine the available space in your backyard or coop. Bantam breeds like d'Uccles are perfect for smaller areas, while larger breeds like Cochins may require more room.
- Egg Production: If you desire fresh eggs, opt for breeds known for their egg-laying capabilities, such as Silked White Easter Eggers and Speckled Sussex.
- Temperament: Choose breeds with friendly, docile personalities if you have children or want sociable pets. Cochins, Salmon Faverolles, and d'Uccles fit the bill. Check out our Top 10 Friendliest Chicken Breeds.
- Appearance: Some families are drawn to unique, visually appealing breeds like Silked White Easter Eggers or Salmon Faverolles.
Chickens make excellent pets, offering companionship, entertainment, and fresh eggs. The key to a harmonious relationship with your feathered friends is choosing the right breed for your family's needs and preferences. Each of the mentioned breeds - Silked White Easter Eggers, Cochins (standard and bantams), Salmon Faverolles, d'Uccles, and Speckled Sussex - has its own unique qualities that can enhance your backyard experience. Whether you're seeking friendly personalities, colorful eggs, or striking appearances, there's a perfect chicken breed waiting to become a part of your family.
Remember, regardless of the breed you choose, providing a safe and comfortable environment for your chickens is paramount. Regular care, attention, and love will ensure a happy, healthy pet chicken that feels like part of the family!
Are you looking for additional breeds that will make great backyard pets? Try our Breed Finder Quiz.