This is the best small-scale baby chick starter kit on the market, in our opinion! Featured on the Martha Stewart show, she liked them so much, she took four kits home in which to brood her own babies. This kit comes with everything you need to get your batch of babies started off on the right foot:
- Ten, 20" high by x 24" wide interlocking, double-walled cardboard panels, which form the "house"
- One bag of compressed pine shavings (3200 cubic inches)
- One 5 pound bag of organic chick starter feed
- Two, one-quart waterers with red water bases
- One, one-quart feeder with red feeder base
- One heavy-duty heat lamp with ceramic socket and clamp*
- One 250-watt, red, infrared heat bulb*
* 250-watt infrared heat bulbs aren't the safest choice. People have been using them to raise chicks for decades, and they're economical, so they're the most popular heat source for chicken keepers. But because these bulbs can reach 435°, they pose a fire hazard. Therefore we are offering an upgrade to a much safer alternative at a discount: the overhead mount Sweeter Heater, or the 12" x 12" chick brooder heating plate. These heaters reach much safer temps and offer a whole host of benefits in addition to using less electricity. (Plus, you'll save off list price!)If you already have any of these pieces, or you'd like more customization options, consider the Build-Your-Own Chick Starter Kit.
Superior panels form the "house"
Interlocking double-walled cardboard panels form the "house." Measuring 20” high, they are a full 8” taller than the
typical starter kit, which means your chicks will be better protected from
drafts and won’t be able to jump out until they’re much older! The double-walled design make them extra sturdy.
Use as few as 4 panels, or as many as to 10
Our kit includes ten panels, which creates 22 square feet of space -- enough for up to 11 or 12 chickens, up to five weeks of age! You won't need that much space to start, though. Use just four or six panels when your babies are small -- however many they need to be comfortable. You can easily add two panels at a time as they get bigger and require more space.
The only kit with pine shavings and organic starter feed
Our kit is the only one we've found to include pine shavings for bedding and organic, unmedicated chick starter feed. (If you choose to medicate your chicks, you'll have plenty of opportunity -- the 5lb bag will only get them through the first several days, and they'll need "starter" feed for several weeks, so you'll have to purchase more feed, whether it be medicated or unmedicated. You can offer them the organic feed at any point during that time.)
Please note: if you do not intend to use the starter feed within a week of receipt,
please refrigerate it. It is organic, all-natural and does not
contain any pesticides. Refrigerating it will keep out pantry moths and
We ship Starter Kits within 1 business day of receiving your order. If you order chicks along with your starter kit, and your chicks are scheduled for the next week's hatch, your chicks might arrive before your starter kit does. So, for the safety of your chicks, please plan accordingly and order your kit for timely delivery.
Please note: Our kit does not include a thermometer. The best way to gauge your flock's comfort level is to watch their behavior. More on that here.
Your kit comes with a set of instructions for assembling the brooder, plus
all the "how-to" baby chick care information you'll need to get
started, including how best to regulate the heat.