Meet Amy from My Pet Chicken! We lovingly call our My Pet Chicken employees "Peeps!" My Pet Chicken is very unique in that ALL employees are poultry keepers ourselves, so we offer a wealth of experience and wisdom. Here is your opportunity to see how we became "crazy chicken people." In this "Meet the Peeps" blog series, we introduce you to Amy. You've interacted with her by phone...now it's time to "meet" her.
Amy - Customer Service Phone Peep
1. How Long have you been part of the MPC family? Since 2016
2. What is your home state and your favorite part about living there? California, the weather of course!
3. How long have you been a chicken keeper? I started keeping chickens in 2013, soon after I left my career in education. I jumped in and never looked back!
4. What was your first breed(s) of chicken? Lavender Orpington
5. How many chickens do you have? (Real numbers…not what we tell our family members!) 67 and counting!
6. Do you have any other animals besides chickens? If so what and how many do you have? Right now, only my grumpy senior Shih Tzu, Nene. But while I had the farm in CT we had as many as 32 goats, a llama, quail, and a pair of Sebastopol geese.
7. What is your favorite chicken breed? Why? Very hard question but I would have to say Buff Orpington. I tell customers all the time that they are the Golden Retrievers of chickens. They are sweet, friendly, lap sitters... and they even lay eggs when they are not being broody! LOL
8. What is your favorite part about chicken keeping? Sitting in the coop after I have finished cleaning it and just letting them take turns jumping in my lap. There may or may not be a tasty beverage at that time as well.
9. What is your least favorite part about chicken keeping? Diagnosing what is wrong when a chicken is not well. They can't tell you where it hurts and despite all my experience and training, it is still very challenging. There is a lot of trial and error involved.
10. What is your best pro tip for a newbie chicken keeper? Don't forget to have fun! They are chickens and the more time you spend with them the more personality they will show you. Don't get all bogged down in the details.
11. What is your favorite chicken-keeping product and why? Automatic waterers! Once you have set something up so you don't have to change the water and keep it clean all the time you will never go back. Invest in a system that fits your needs or make one yourself, and you will thank me.
12. What is your favorite chicken-themed quote, or joke? I like to tell people that I am a professional Chickenista!
Closing thoughts from Amy: I have had house roosters for over four years! First, was my beloved Old English Game Bantam, Monroe, who traveled across the country with us in our Airstream. When he passed, we got Pancho, also a gamebird bantam. Both boys have worn diapers and had free range of our house when not in their inside cage. They have brought so much joy to our lives and I can honestly tell people that I have a pet chicken.